31 August 2011

there & then, the travel writing of James Salter

It's difficult to describe the writing in this book. I've tried to say that it's unlike any other travel writing in that it seems to be written to please neither editor nor advertiser nor reader nor writer's ego. It feels self-contained and informative, though it offers little practical information. I get a feeling of adulthood from it, a suggestion of an adulthood I hope one day to reach myself, one that is calm and dignified and opaque, and capable of seeing through surface matters into the hearts of things.


5 Books I met: there & then, the travel writing of James Salter It's difficult to describe the writing in this book. I've tried to say that it's unlike any other travel writing in that it seem...

No comments:

Post a Comment

< >

search