11 January 2012

oops

This task is hard to keep up with. For most of today, I was thinking about how I would get back on track. I'd briefly catch up on the books I've finished in the past couple months and then apply a new format for a while and keep a sort of reading diary, with small entries every day. And then, just as I was about to leave work, I saw that The Morning News had announced the list for the Tournament of Books, my favorite sporting event, and I had to rush off to the library to hunt down the books. I love to read the tournament books, and follow the book versus book skirmishes. It makes me feel a little more contemporary.


While I was at the library I picked up a book of travel essays by Andrzej Stasiuk, only because he has my brother's name and the first essay is about Slovakia, and a book of literary essays I have heard about and wanted to read for years.  And all this a day after I resolved to read all the Russian books I own, to help me get a taste of Russia for a play I'm acting in. I just started reading Fathers & Sons. Luckily that's one of the short ones. I don't know that I will ever be able to keep myself to a pattern or be disciplined about reading. I'm not really interested in discipline or patterns really, though I did make that bet. Projects where the only aim is to finish a set amount of tasks, or to do a certain thing every day, aren't inspiring projects. So I guess I'll probably lose the bet. But I'll keep trying to read my books even though I can't stop accumulating them. And I'll still count on being friends with the bet-makers by the time the 10 years is up, which is really why the bet was made in the first place, I think: to celebrate and anticipate friendship.  На здоровье


5 Books I met: oops This task is hard to keep up with. For most of today, I was thinking about how I would get back on track. I'd briefly catch up on the bo...

No comments:

Post a Comment

< >

search